2018 IAB UK & PwC Digital Adspend Study: The Market Grows
The UK digital advertising market is worth £13.44bn, an increase year-on-year of 15%, reveals the 2018 IAB UK & PwC Digital Adspend Study.
- The majority of all growth is coming from smartphone advertising, which has increased by £1.65bn (35%) from 2017.
- Smartphone advertising now represents 51% of all UK digital ad spend, up from 45% in 2017.
- Video is now the largest display format (£2307m), overtaking standard display banners (£1486m).
- Outstream/social in-feed has increased its majority in total video spend, now occupying a share of 57%, up from 52% in 2017.
- Social revenue now represents 23% of all digital ad spend.
- Growth is predicted to slow during 2019, with 5% estimated growth (+9% digital, +11% display, +9% search) compared to 15% in 2018.
Advertisers embracing mobile
“As consumers spend more of their time online, it’s no surprise that digital ad spend has continued its rise, up 15% to £13.4bn. With digital, in every sense, becoming further embedded in our daily lives, it is inevitable that this number is set to rise further next year.
“Given the vast majority of people using their smartphone as their primary digital device, evident from site traffic stats we see across the board, the IAB report shows that advertisers have started to fully embrace this shift by following with ad spend. Over the last few years, a combination of faster wireless connectivity along with more capable devices has made it the go-to device for consumers to get online. This is set to continue over the next few years with 5G and even faster, more capable smartphones arriving (i.e. foldables) that will further cement ‘mobile’ as the main digital device to reach consumers.”
-Wajid Ali, Head of Paid Search, ForwardPMX
You May Find These Interesting
The new platform by Sophia Chang and Romy Samuel aggregates brands such as Nike, Acne and Chanel for one-stop shopping for women. Sophia Chang and Romy Samuel are launching Common Ace, a new sneaker destination for women, on May 15. Common Ace is an affiliate network...
This article, by Alexandra Mondalek, originally appeared in Business of Fashion. Below is an excerpt. Babaa, a small, direct-to-consumer knitwear brand founded in Madrid in 2012, might seem well-positioned to win the loyalty of self-isolating shoppers. The pitch...
This article originally appeared in Ad Age. Collectively around the world, we have been thrust into an unprecedented commercial environment. The global COVID-19 epidemic has, in the span of a few weeks, completely upended how businesses carry out their everyday...